Welcome to Wired Investors. If you’re looking to learn more about investing in web properties as a way to secure your financial freedom, this is the place for you.
What are Web Properties/Digital Assets?
Web Properties (also referred to as Digital Assets) are basically websites and online businesses that you can invest in. While Web Properties and more traditional investments like Stocks, Bonds, or Real Estate share many things in common, there are a few key differences:
- Web Properties are not part of the ‘mainstream’ financial world – this means that you aren’t competing with institutional investors like mutual funds or hedge funds to find the most undervalued digital assets
- Buying and maintaining Digital Assets requires a unique skillset that few people possess, so if you take the time to learn the basics, you can ‘get in early’
- If you invest in smart, disciplined way, the ROI available when investing in Digital Assets is far higher than what you would get if you were pursuing traditional investments
- The market for Digital Assets is opaque and largely unregulated, so this type of investing is probably not suitable for you if you’re not willing to put in the time and effort required to learn the ropes.
Why Web Properties?
I have experience working in the financial industry, and it’s my firm opinion that web properties are severely undervalued when you compare them to other asset classes. I believe that this valuation gap will eventually get plugged (as institutional/professional investors start taking notice and entering the market) – but for the moment, there are still a large number of great deals available.
After the 2008 financial crisis, people across the world started realizing that there are no guarantees financially – whether you’re almost at retirement age or whether you’ve just started your first job, the events of the past decade have taught us that there is no real safety net for retirement, let alone for financial freedom. If you want to get to a place where you have financial security and freedom, you have to be proactive and go out and grab it.
In my opinion, web properties are the most undervalued (cheapest) asset class out there when measured on an ROI basis, because the market as a whole remains largely undiscovered. Smart, disciplined website investors have an opportunity to exploit this undervaluation to secure their financial freedom.
Wired Investors isn’t for Everyone
Not everybody is in a position to be able to invest significant sums of money. Not everybody has the will or the drive to learn the skills required to be successful as a website investor. That’s totally fine. Wired Investors is not for everybody.
If any of the following applies to you, then the Wired Investors approach may not be suitable to you:
- You don’t have capital/savings set aside specifically for investing. I’m not a big believer in using leverage (debt) when investing. Part of being a disciplined investor is knowing when not to invest at all. I would say that you need at least $5K (minimum) of investment capital to consider investing in web properties. If you fall into this category, but you’re still interested in web properties, you should probably consider trying to build profitable website yourself instead.
- You don’t have enough time to do proper research and due diligence on your investments or spend time maintaining your web properties. If you’re going to be a serious investor, you have to be willing to put the time in.
- You don’t spend a lot of time online, and you have no interest in learning about the minutiae of how the internet ecosystem works. If you’re not interested in the web, you won’t engage properly when you’re working on an investment – and as such, you’ll miss important details and you probably won’t find much success.
- You know that you’re prone to making rash investment decisions. Because the market for digital assets is mostly unregulated (and is fraught with scammers), if you’re prone to making impulsive investment decisions, you’re probably better off just putting your money into a low cost index fund and leaving it untouched. (Refer to the Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing for more information on this strategy – this is the best passive investment strategy out there).
What you’ll find on Wired Investors
Our goal is to help people learn more about this exciting new space in the investing world.
You might be wondering why we’re motivated to do this – after all, the more people who know about this opportunity, the less we can take advantage of it. The truth is, we’re not worried about this – we know from experience that the majority of people never really follow through on good investment advice – they’d rather jump in on the latest trend to try and make a quick buck.
After all, Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham, and a host of other investing greats have been preaching the principles of value investing for close to 80 years, and yet value investing continues to be a largely under appreciated investment strategy.
Our goal here is not to preach to the masses – most people aren’t proactive or disciplined enough to follow through. Our goal is to help the few of you out there who are willing to put the time in to learn the ins-and-outs of website investing properly.
If you’re a beginner to all this, we’ve got a bunch of great content to walk you through some of the basics of investing in web properties.
We stress over and over on this site that the most important skill that you can learn when it comes to website investing is due diligence. To learn more about doing good due diligence, you can read our article where we dissect Flippa Scams, or check out the 10 essential questions you should ask before buying on a website. We also have a detailed step-by-step guide on how to complete the first steps of due diligence.
We’ve also got a live case study where I browsed through listings on Flippa, and break down on a case by case basis whether or not a listings interests me (and why). You can find that case study in two parts – Part I, and Part II.
We’ll also be updating the site regularly with new guides and case studies, and we’ll reflect on how some of our own investments are going. Check back once in a while to make sure you don’t miss anything – or even better, stay updated by signing up for our newsletter:
Get Started Today
If the idea of earning outsized ROIs by investing in websites interests you at all, I highly recommend that you start learning today. Not many people are even aware that you can buy digital assets as investments, and even fewer actually have the right skillset to do it successfully. The faster you pick up the necessary skills, the more ahead of the curve you’ll be. If you invest in websites in a smart, disciplined manner, you have a real chance to secure your financial freedom and free up your time to pursue the things in life that really matter to you. All it takes is a bit of time and a willingness to learn. So what are you waiting for?
Go out there and be a Wired Investor.